Friday, June 16, 2006

Editing

Two RWA members I know through email loops and their blog have recently posted about the importance of a single line or judging your own work.

Michelle Diener points to an editing technique used by Dean Koontz.

I read somewhere (don’t ask, I can’t remember) that Dean Koontz goes over each page in his novels at least 10 times. So my guess is that DK treats each line in his books as if he’s entered them in a first line competition.


Edie Ramer says:

I don’t know if it’s possible to write a better book every time, but I do know it’s possible to try. I’m only on page 77 on my wip. Maybe I’ll hate it in the end. Or maybe I’ll think it’s good but other people will hate it.



How do we know for sure? When we’re published? But I’ve read published books that aren’t good. And I’ve read unpublished books by my CPs that are terrific! Of course, I’ve read published books that are terrific too.



Either way, it illustrates the frustration of writing. Even when you've decided that the book is good and examined ever line to maximize it's impact, it still comes down to finding the right agent or editor at the right time.

No comments: