A prize of $400 dollars will be awarded for the best essay with the theme of the impact a library has made on your life or your family. An honorable mention prize of $100 will also be awarded. We are looking for a moving, well-written original work of nonfiction. The contest is open to authors residing in, attending school in Wisconsin, or attending the Lakefly Literary Conference May 10-11, 2013. There is no fee to enter.
THE JEAN NELSON AWARD CONTEST RULES:
1. Authors must reside in, attend school in Wisconsin, or regiser for the
Lakefly Literary Conference May 10-11, 2013.
2. Essays need to have the theme a library's impact on you or your family.
3. Limit your essay to 2500 words or less.
4. Authors are encouraged to submit an entry via email. Embed it in the body of the email or send it as a pdf to Lakeflylit [at]aol dot com. Authors may also submit
by sending their manuscript to the following address:
C/O Oshkosh Public Library
106 Washington Ave.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
5. Writers should include a 100 word or less biography written in third person.
Include your website if you wish.
6. One entry per author.
7. Entries must be postmarked on or before March 30th, 2013 or received
electronically by 12:00 am by March 30th, 2013.
8. Previously published works (in print or online) are not eligible.
9. Each manuscript must be typed, double-spaced, in standard 10- or 12-point
font. Each page must include the title of the story as a header. All pages must
be numbered with both an individual page number and the total number of
pages (e.g., Stormy Night, page 1/15, Stormy Night, page 2/15, Stormy Night,
page 3/15, etc.).
10. The author's name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address (if
available); and the story word count must be included on a cover sheet. Do
not include personal information on subsequent pages.
11. Keep a copy of your manuscript! Manuscripts will be recycled, not returned.
Do not send an SASE.
12. Contest winner and runner up will be contacted via email (or phone number)
before they are announced at The Lakefly Literary Conference.