Thursday, July 07, 2005

Welcome to the Oshkosh Area Writers Club!

In 2003, after weeks struggling to write a novel, I realized I needed help. I needed someone who understood how frustrating writing is; a place where I felt safe and free to express myself creatively. Specifically, I needed to be with other writers.

So I announced an organizational meeting for a local writers club. From my research, I knew that most clubs only have six to 12 members. I was hoping for at least eight but I set up chairs for 25, feeling optimistic. Image my surprise when 44 people showed up!

Some were professional writers; one gentleman said his only experience was "writing a check." We had poets and playwrights, children's writers and columnists. Some people were writing their memoirs, others were into fiction; many were not writing at all. Different ages, interests and life experiences - a great mix that blended very nicely into what is now the Oshkosh Area Writers Club.

Of course, nothing good happens without the help of others and I would like to publicly thank Bethany Warner, my club co-pilot, and Stacie Penney, author of the blog Raspberry Latte, who organizes the workshops.

So what do we do?

Critique sessions are held at 10 a.m. the first and third Saturday of each month; writing workshops are held at 6:30 p.m. the second Thursday of each month. All meetings are held in the lower level meeting room of the Oshkosh Public Library, 106 Washington Ave. From time to time, we hold open mic poetry readings, have guest speakers and carpool to area writing conferences.

Meetings are free and open to anyone 17 years old or older.

If you would like something critiqued, please bring eight copies of your work and limit yourself to five pages at a time. If you have a longer piece, bring copies and ask for volunteers to review it at home at their leisure.

Each writing workshop has a theme that serves as the topic of discussion. They will be posted ahead of time in case there is a handout, article or something else you want to share on that particular topic.

For more information about the club or its activities, please e-mail Oshkosh Area Writers Club.

Thank you for your interest!

- Ruth Percey

2 comments:

Stacie Penney said...

Wow, you were super productive last night!

This is awesome, by the way.

Welcome to the world of blogging.

Anonymous said...

hope that more will get into the commenting part.