Thursday, April 26, 2007

Is our anthology"published"?

I sent an email to Miss Snark (an agent in NY who has a blog). Here is my question and her reply. I guess if I enter something I will explain the situation to the contest.

Question: Previously published and contests
Our writing club is self publishing an anthology this summer. It does not have an ISBN number. Are these short stories considered published? Some of us would like to submit our stories to contests that say “no previously published” stories. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Answer: Contests that say "no previously published" stories pretty much mean no stories that have seen the light of day: no blogs, no websites, no ezines, and no anthologies published on Lulu.The industry standards on this are not exact, they're in flux. You may be confused because I've previously said that publishing things on the web or at Lulu doesn't count as "published" as far as book publishers are concerned. That still holds.The answer to "is this published" really depends on who's making the rules. In this instance the contest is writing the rules for material they will consider and yours doesn't qualify.

No comments: